Assistant Teaching Professor in Media Creation & Multicultural Studies
Modern Languages Department
Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Carnegie Mellon University
Post-graduate Diploma in Independent Film Production
Cardiff University / Prifysgol Caerdydd, 1996 – 1997
BA Joint Hons (2:1), Visual Arts and French
Middlesex University, 1991 – 1995
CMALT– Certified Membership of the Association for Learning Technologies (ALT)
Achieved March 2017. Link to Digital Portfolio
L5 Diploma, Leadership and Management
Fareham College, 2013 – 2014
PTTLS/DTTLS (Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector), Education
Fareham College, 2010 – 2011
Assistant Teaching Professor in Media Creation and Multicultural Studies
Director of the Askwith Kenner Global Languages & Cultures Room
Department of Modern Languages, Dietrich College – Carnegie Mellon University
- Curator, educator, and researcher managing the Askwith Kenner Global Languages & Cultures Room.
- Exploring the use of immersive technologies and digital content to support language and cultural teaching.
- Researching the use of VR in language learning and cultural competency.
- First-point contact for donors, alumni, visitors, and students for visits to the Room,
- Leader, Facilitator for demonstrations, workshops, talks, and presentations.
- Management of student worker team supporting the activities of the room.
Digital Lead in iSolutions
University of Southampton March 2017 – August 2018
Team Leader for Digital Learning Team of Media Developers and Learning Designers enabling the TEL strategy at the University of Southampton. This expansive role included support for technology in teaching & learning, driving strategy for the Vice-provost for Education across all faculties and institutions. Leading the recruitment and development of the team, project allocation, and reporting duties to senior leadership.
- Working directly with academic departments to support the move to blended learning.
- Development of online and distance learning, producing courses for public engagement, CPD, and research-funded outreach, including twenty-nine courses for the Open University’s FutureLearn platform reaching over 200,000 active learners since 2016.
- Budget and finance responsibilities for Digital Learning, Recruitment, and Team Leadership.
Enhanced Learning Production Manager
University of Southampton, May 2014 – February 2017
Creating learning, research, and evaluative media, including documentary film, audio podcast, and enhanced media content for MOOCs – Massive Open Online Courses. Senior Manager at the Institute for Learning Innovation and Development. The Institute supported the strategic aim to transform education and support academics and researchers, encouraging them to provide rich experiences for their learners.
Providing university-wide consultancy in broadcast management, public relations communications, public policy, and project evaluation.
Head of Department for The Arts
Fareham College of General Further Education, August 2011 – May 2014
Head of Department for The Arts, including Performing Arts, Dance, Media, Music, Fashion & Clothing, Photography, Graphics, Art & Design, and Gaming & Computing, with responsibility for Business & Computing, Science & A-level. Managing Programme Leaders for Business & Computing, Science & A2.
Administration including timetabling, scheduling, recruitment and team leadership, reporting to senior leadership, and representing the department in community outreach, student recruitment, and marketing.
Proud to lead the department to Good OFSTED Report and Outstanding success in Media, Music, Graphics, and Photography. Teaching and training the next generation of ambitious and talented young people breaking into the Creative Industries.
Informal Learning Unit, BBC People
BBC – British Broadcasting Corporation, November 2007 – June 2010
- Creative production of projects for online and HR presentation
- Writing, budget-management, all aspects of broadcast production, including filming, post-production editing, and multi-platform publication.
- Highlights include a series of films exploring at Critical Thinking and Philosophy and creating content for BBC People’s Upfront Induction Process.
- Winners of British Universities Film & Video Council – Learning on Screen Awards for BBC Upfront.
Total Coverage Design Cooperative, January 2005 – November 2007
Senior Graphic Designer producing print and online creative solutions for clients in education, charity, and public sectors. As a worker’s co-operative, I learned aspects of running a business, client relationships, finance, and governance. As one of two creative directors, my focus was on project management and creative design.
Clients included People for Action, Tools for Self-Reliance, Radian Housing, Leonard Cheshire, Medical Foundation, Metanoia Institute, Royal College of Nursing, Perennial.
Carte Blanche Group, April 2001 – December 2004
- Brand management, clients included Disney, WH Smith, Clinton Cards.
- Art and Design for print and product manufacture.
- Project manager for Global Challenge Yacht Race 2004
- Brand management posting in Hong Kong and Cape Town.
Filmmaker and Artist in Residence
British Council Brussels – December 1999 – November 2000
- Artist Producer for projects supporting Brussels 2000 – European City of Culture.
- Video and photography projects for European City of Culture projects.
- Artist in Residence at Le Petit Chateau Reception Centre for Refugees and CADE – Center for Adolescents in Exile.
- Production of orientation materials for new residents, collaboration with Treehouse Multimedia Productions, Cardiff.
Teaching and Research
I am an Educator and researcher in digital media creation, exploring culture, language, and identity. Passionate about improving experiences for learners in promoting creative practice.
Providing specialist support in the creation of learning content, including video, podcast, and interactive media. Our team produces digital products used to support research, teaching & learning, and public engagement. design theory and leveraging technology to tell stories, talk to learners, and enable educators and researchers to create dynamic and engaging courses for all.
Providing consultancy for colleges and education partners exploring opportunities to enhance teaching and learning, including blended, online, and distance learning courses.
Carnegie Mellon University
- 82-284 Multicultural Pittsburgh: Community, language, and identity.
- 82-888 Language Acquisition & Technology: Languages classrooms of the future
- 82-285 Podcasting: Language and Culture Through Storytelling
- 82-287 Cultural Immersion: Relating your world in Virtual Reality
- 99-520 Digital Storytelling: Language, Culture, and Identity
- 82-288 Everyday Learning: Designing Learning Experiences in Times of Unrest and Uncertainty
University of Southampton
- BIOL3060 Science Communication (Joint lecturer for media component)
- FEEG6013 Group Design Project – School of Engineering (Joint Lecturer for media component)
- BTEC Level 3 Art and Design
- BTEC Level 3 Graphic Design
- BTEC Level 3 Gaming & Computing
- A-Level Art, Design and Photography
Workshop Facilitation, Consultation and Subject Matter Expertise
- Introduction to Virtual Reality in the Classroom, University of Pittsburgh, ESL Seminar Series, 20 February 2020, Global Languages & Cultures Room.
- Smartphone Technology in the Classroom, Modern Languages Graduate/Ph.D. Seminar Workshop, 19 February 2019, Global Languages & Cultures Room.
- Exploring Language & Culture using Immersive Technology, Three Rivers TESOL,
9 September 2019, University of Pittsburgh,
- Introducing the Askwith Kenner Global Languages & Cultures Room, Eberly Center Team, 16 November 2018, Global Languages & Cultures Room
- Finding Our Voices; Inspire UCEM Podcasting Workshop, College of Estate Management, 17 July 2018 Reading, UK.
- Shout from the Rooftops – Podcasting for Academics, MEIN Medical Education Innovation Network, University Hospital, University of Southampton, 25 September 2017, further links to Audio Blog
- Rivers of Meaning: Digital Storytelling in Research, Center for Academic Practice, 15 May 2017, University of Southampton [link]
- Multicultural Immersion, Relating your world in VR, Presented at NEALLT 2021 (From Tried and True to Generation Next—Language Learning in the Post-Communicative Age) Virtually hosted by Lafayette College – 12 March 2021
- This is America: Teaching in light of Covid-19 and Black Lives Matter Webinar for All Presented to The London Branch Association for Language Learning (ALL) – hosted by Joe Dale and Helen Myers – 23 July 2020
- Using VR and AR in Higher Education, Presented to the University of St. Andrews, Center for Higher Education Research, Durham UK – July 2019 (Conference canceled)
- Harnessing the wow factor – Embracing play and exploring empathy in VR Learning Presented at Playful Learning Conference – Leicester University – 10 July 2019
- New Spaces: Learning in the Global Languages & Cultures Room Presented at Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN) – June 2019
- Immersive Technologies – Language and Culture Keynote Speaker – Future EdTech Conference – London – June 2019
- Transformative Practices: Teaching and Learning Language and Culture with Technology, Presented at NEALLT 2019 – Hosted by Penn Language Center at University of Pennsylvania, April 5, 2019
- Blending Evidence – How students use of digital media is challenging assessment. Presented at DCG Spotlight on Digital Capabilities (3) – 24 – 25 May 2017
- Using the WordPress H5P plugin to create rich interactive content aka Putting creative power back in the hands of Educators. Authors: Alex Furr, Stephan Caspar, and Svein-Tore Griff-With Presented at ALT – Association for Learning Technologies Conference 2016
- A digital-first approach to curriculum design and delivery, Presented at ALT – Association for Learning Technologies Conference 2015
- Caspar, S., & Dubreil, S. (2019). Technology Consulting in the Global Community – The creation of an online/remote cultural program of events to support students in Heinz College working in partnership with the Ministry of Education in Palau. https://www.tcingc.org/ (Role: Coordinator)
- Caspar, S & Dessler, J (2019) 53-250 Immersive Experience Pre-Production Process – providing guest consultancy to students for IDeATe course creating immersive multimedia experiences.
Writing and Publishing
The following is a list of writing projects and contributions to public scholarship. These include multimedia publications and instructional materials alongside peer-reviewed journals and articles.
- Nørgård, Rikke Toft, Josephine Solheim and Kimie Jay Bukholt Playful Higher Education: Voices, Activities and Co-creations from the PUP Community Aarhus: Center for Higher Education Futures, Aarhus University. 2022.
- Caspar, S. (2021). Learning in Virtual Spaces. #DLFteach. Retrieved from https://dlfteach.pubpub.org/pub/vol2-caspar-learning-in-virtual-spaces, Digital Library Federation (DLF) Digital Library Pedagogy Working Group toolkit: Vol.2 Lesson Plans on Immersive Pedagogy
- Caspar S. & Whitton P. & Whitton N., (2021) “A framework for re-imagining video in Higher Education using playfulness”, The Journal of Play in Adulthood 3(2). p.131-147. doi: https://doi.org/10.5920/jpa.858
- Caspar, Stephan. “Insider Spaces : Hands-on with XR in the Global Languages & Cultures Room“ CALICO Journal [Online], 38 19 Nov 2020
- Video Abstracts for Impact in Applied Health Research – Published May 2017
Authors: Stephan Caspar, Clare Shaw, Justin W G Roe, Catherine Sandsund. DOI:10.13140/RG.2.2.24521.44644
- Caspar, Stephan. (2021). Exploring the pandemic through language learning and multicultural studies. In Plutino, Alessia; Polisca, Elena (Eds), Languages at work, competent multilinguals and the pedagogical challenges of COVID-19 (pp. 113-118). Research-publishing.net. https://doi.org/10.14705/rpnet.2021.49.1225
- Teaching culture and language in Immersive VR Rooms – Immersive pedagogy toolkit https://wiki.diglib.org/Pedagogy:Toolkit_2.0_CFP– DLF Digital Library Pedagogy Group
- Exploring Culture through Immersive Technologies. Caspar, Stephan, and Mark Frydenberg. Published 8 Oct. 2020, Educause Conference 2020
- Immersive Gains: -Using Virtual Reality in Language Learning Assessment, Authors: Stephan Caspar, Guodong Zhao, Published 2019 – ILRN Immersive Learning Research Network Conference 2019
- Using the WordPress H5P plugin to create rich interactive content – Published Aug 2016 Authors Stephan Caspar, \Svein-Tore With, Alex Furr. DOI:10.13140/RG.2.2.23441.63841. – ALT-Association for Learning Technologies Conference 2016.
- Caspar, S. (2016, October 11). New academic voices in podcasting. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/how-podcasting-academics-tell-engaging-stories-and-find-their-audience-ebbc4b606ae5 – Southampton University Podcasting Conference Summer 2016
- Caspar, S. (2020, July 09). Teaching through the pandemic – A Brit’s view from the US. (955676121 744416393 S. Bailey, Ed.). Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://theedtechpodcast.com/teaching-through-the-pandemic-a-brits-view-from-the-us
- Caspar, S. (2020, March 10). Tips for moving your classroom online. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/tips-for-moving-your-classroom-online-5f996ddb0e34
- Caspar, S. (2018, May 25). Podcasting at your fingertips. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/podcasting-at-your-fingertips-17d8a1875500
- Caspar, S. (2018, June 15). Shout from the Rooftops. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/shout-from-the-rooftops-25450c18c08a
- Caspar, S. (2018, February 05). Developing Screencasts for Phys2015. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/developing-screencasts-for-phys2015-e88baba73cc1
- Caspar, S. (2017, December 22). Capturing impact, Maximizing reach. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/capturing-impact-maximising-reach-1098b9ce781e
- Caspar, S. (2017, November 10). Bricks and Mortar or Digital? Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/bricks-and-mortar-or-digital-5c00f7072edd
- Caspar, S. (2017, December 22). Using apple clips in research and public engagement. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/using-apple-clips-in-research-and-public-engagement-92725dea3d1a
- Caspar, S. (2017, June 01). Blending Evidence. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/blending-evidence-23945dfe794b
- Caspar, S. (2017, February 07). Teaching in Time. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/teaching-on-time-af0344ca7c2d
- Caspar, S. (2017, January 30). Using Trello in project-based learning. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/using-trello-in-project-based-learning-ecbc25ab6bd2
- Caspar, S. (2017, June 03). Is there really more innovation in FE than HE? Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/is-there-really-more-innovation-in-fe-than-he-c2de4cd8fa5a
- Caspar, S. (2017, January 30). Using drone technology to tell stories around research. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/new-views-and-perspectives-from-above-e967700679ba
- Caspar, S. (2016, November 22). Creating a video abstract. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/creating-a-video-abstract-4e2de00d9f54
- Caspar, S. (2016, November 22). Media Training Simplified. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/media-training-simplified-5ec848315e68
- Caspar, S. (2017, November 01). Building better learning objects. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/ten-tips-to-building-better-learning-objects-c8d381d03a2d
- Caspar, S. (2016, March 10). Editing video with simple tools. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/editing-video-with-simple-tools-16245efa890c
- Caspar, S. (2015, October 04). How MOOCs will change our VLE’s forever! Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/how-moocs-will-change-our-vle-s-forever-4aa05c7d18bf
- Caspar, S. (2016, March 10). Media for Public Engagement. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://medium.com/@dotsandspaces/media-for-public-engagement-434217cb1c8a
- Abraham, N. (2020). Video component for Arabic Online (12 video segments to be incorporated into the Arabic online platform on OLI – Role: videographer, editor, producer).
- Caspar, S., & Dubreil, S. (2019). Kaleidoscope. Immersive multimedia experience created in collaboration with a team of students from the Entertainment Technology Center to explore cultural bias. (Role: producer).
- Caspar, S (2020) The Other Side: Immersive multimedia projection project created in collaboration with a team of students from the Entertainment Technology Center to explore language learning (Role: producer)
- Caspar, S., & Dubreil, S (2019) French in Society – Poetry Slam – (creation of series of 360˙ video segments recording student outcomes. – Role: videographer, editor.
- Caspar, S (2016 – 2020) Educate Spaces – Online Portfolio for education https://dotsandspaces.uk/educatespaces/
- Caspar, S., & B. (2020, May 20). Film 2: Critical Thinking. Retrieved September 30, 2020, from https://vimeo.com/5549666
Director of the Askwith Kenner Global Languages & Cultures Room
Kenner Steering Committee Member – Chair, Prof. Susan Polansky
Providing management and leadership for this unique facility at Carnegie Mellon University. Supervising a team of student workers. Coordinating teaching, learning and research activity, including consultancy and facilitation for projects using immersive technologies. Key point of contact for all external and internal enquiries, working with partners, guests and audiences, including stakeholders, donors, and senior management across the institution, in Pittsburgh and CMU-Q, Doha. Networking with units throughout the university, including XR Special Interest Group, Library, University Advancement and International Relations.
Committee member for Humanities@CMU
Impact Committee Member- Chair, Prof. Andreea Ritivoi
Fellowships and Scholarships Office
Fulbright U.S. Student Committee
- ALT Certified Membership of the Association for Learning Technologies
External examiner for CMALT
- Associate Member of the HEA – Higher Education Association, UK.
- Educause Member
- NEALT Member – North East Association of Learning and Technology
- NCFDD National Council for Faculty Development and Diversity – Member
French – bilingual speaker
Parent Governor – Harrison Primary School Feb 2016 – July 2018
- Strategic support to Executive Principle and Senior Management Team
- Teaching & Learning Committee
- Link Governor in Computing.
Academic Work – https://dotsandspaces.uk/educatespaces/
Personal Blog – http://dotsandspaces.co.uk/
The Global Languages & Cultures Room
Blog – https://kenner.dotsandspaces.uk/blog/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/kennerglobal/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/KennerGlobalCMU